Join Us! Become a member of the Historical Society of Dayton Valley.
The Historical Society of Dayton Valley is a non profit 501(c)3 organization founded and run by volunteers. No previous experience is required.
The Society is responsible not only for the historic schoolhouse/museum but also for the historic Dayton firehouse and 1860s jail, which currently is open for special events or by appointment. In partnership with Lyon County we have also acquired and are beginning to restore Dayton’s 1881 Carson & Colorado Railroad Depot (at Main St. and Hwy 50E). It is one of only three such depots still in existence and the only one in Nevada.
Six reasons to become a volunteer:
- You help preserve and share Dayton’s wonderful history
- When you get involved you give back to the community
- You meet interesting people and broaden your horizons
- You enrich your life and the lives of others
- For students it puts “today” into the perspective of the past. It can also fulfill community service requirements. (This looks great on a college application or resumé!)
- In the background or in the forefront, when you volunteer you play a vital role in keeping our history alive!